mixed bean salad
The sun is shining, the birds are singing, the trees are blossoming and I am already noticing a huge change in my taste-buds as the temperature continues to rise.
To say that I'm loving being back home in the country is a complete understatement!
This mixed bean salad made the most perfect balance of light and hearty for a fresh and satisfying lunch. I decided to add my mixed bean salad to a couple heaping handfuls of romaine lettuce and added a handful of mary's organic crackers.
- 3-4 cups of mixed beans (canned or pre-cooked are fine. If using canned preferably by a brand like 'eden organic' and make sure to rinse very well)
- 1 cup green beans
- 2 celery stalks
- ¼ cup red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Large handful fresh parsley
- Sea salt + pepper to taste
- Cook or rinse mixed beans and add to medium size bowl.
- Wash + chop green beans into bite size pieces. Add a bit of water in a small sized pan or pot and bring water to a boil. Add beans + cook for 1-2 minutes. Add immediately to cold ice water and let sit.
- Wash + chop celery, red onion, garlic + parsley. Add to bowl with beans.
- Make dressing (recipe below).
- Add green beans + dressing to mixture. Combine well + let sit in the fridge of 1-2 hours.
- Add the bean mixture to a bed of greens.
- Add sea salt + pepper to taste.
Maple Mustard Dressing
- ¼ up EVOO
- 2 tbsp stone ground mustard (or other mustard of your choice)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp (pure + preferably local) maple syrup
- Juice of lemon
- Add to mason jar, shake well + serve.
The maple mustard dressing is the perfect sweet touch. I hope you will give this mixed bean salad a try. This can be made in advance and enjoyed throughout the week as an addition to a lunch or dinner.
Looking for more easy to prep lunch ideas? Read this.