What's a girl to do with leftover cooked chickpeas, brown rice + lots of fresh veggies?
Well a mexican fiesta of course! The husband is gone on the road so that typically means I keep my meals super simple. and I often work my way through the fridge and throw together whatever I can find.
We all need a break right?
This salad was a party on my plate and my palate.
It was loaded with lots of fresh greens, crunchy veggies and it also packed a lot flavour.
- Two large handfuls of greens (I used romaine but any greens are fab!)
- 1/2 cup chickpeas (previously cooked OR canned + rinsed well)
- 1/2 cup brown rice (previously cooked)
- Clove of garlic (minced)
- 1/2 organic red bell pepper
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1/4 cup salsa (preferably a good organic brand with no added sugar OR homemade would be even better!)
- Handful of nacho chips (I used this brand)
- Handful of fresh basil (rough chopped)
- I had previously cooked my chickpeas and brown rice but added it to a pan to warm up a bit. I added a clove of minced garlic, a bit of extra virgin olive oil, sea salt + pepper.
- In the meantime, wash + chop your red bell pepper and celery.
- I added it to my rice + chickpea mixture for a minute or so on very low heat.
- Assemble your greens on a plate.
- Add the rice/chickpea/red pepper/celery mixture on top of the greens.
- Crush up your desired amount of nacho chips.
- Add about 1/4 cup of salsa + sprinkle the basil on top.
Wishing you a very Happy Easter weekend!