I love sushi and to be honest of all the things I miss the most so far during this pregnancy it is raw fish and wine..... (in moderation of course ;))
I feel like it's a common misconception that sushi is healthy. Unfortunately, the sushi that most North American's tend to consume certainly airs more on the side of UNhealthy vs. healthy.
Deep fried, tempura, cream cheese, spicy mayo, white rice and lots of soy sauce.... not necessarily beauty food per say.
While I'm a proponent of moderation, did you know it's incredibly easy to make your very own HEALTHY sushi at home?
Instead of white rice I used nutrient dense quinoa with lots of fresh raw veggies. and Braggs Amino Liquids or Tarmari that are better options than sodium laden soy sauce.
- Nori wraps
- Quinoa (I had mine pre-cooked which made this a very easy meal to prepare)
- Red bell pepper
- Other options: cucumber, avocado, shiitake mushrooms (sautéed + cooled), red cabbage .... the options are endless really.
- Option: if you don't have any quinoa you could also substitute brown rice which is still a much better option than white rice
- Sesame seeds
- A bit of water in a small bowl to help seal your rolls
- Materials: optional is a bamboo mat that you can affordably purchase at your local grocery or health food store to help roll each sushi roll
Ingredients + method for dressing to be added to your quinoa/rice:
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
Mix the three ingredients in a small bowl by whisking together. Pour over your quinoa and combine well.
- Prepare the dressing mixture to be added to your quinoa. Add all ingredients to a small bowl + combine. pour over the quinoa and mix well.
- Chop your vegetables or whatever you are using to fill your sushi rolls into small pieces (julienne style).
- Now you are ready to assemble! Lay a nori wrap on your bamboo mat if you are using one.
- Spread your quinoa on a nori wrap, leaving about an inch around the perimeter of the wrap.
- On the left or right side of your wrap that now has the quinoa mixture on it, add a layer of your veggies.
- Using your mat OR just your magical hands roll the nori over the layered veggies to start a roll. roll the entire wrap as tightly as you can and then using a bit of water on your fingers, rub some water on the nori wrap to seal the roll.
- Set aside and continue rolling!
You can let these sit for a few moments in the fridge before cutting if you wish OR enjoy ASAP like I did. it helps to have a sharp knife to cut your rolls into pieces. And you can even make a hand roll like you see I did.
Tasty, healthy and super affordable sushi that you can make yourself.
I am in love with this quote that I read today ....
"There's no need to wait for the bad things to be over. Change now. Love now. Live now. Don't wait for people to give you permission to live, because they won't." ~ Kris Carr, Author
Amen Miss Carr.
Today I hope you will think about the power you have to start changing right NOW!?!
Believe and know that you are worth it!
Sending you much love and the ability to make some changes today!