apple cinnamon buckwheat for b.fast
How is your week going so far my friend?
I hope that the spring air on your pretty little faces is making way to some big smiles and some new found energy.
I think my favourite part of spring (in addition to beautiful flowers) is the amount of daylight. Yeah for sunshine :)
I had a lot of requests to post the recipe for this lovely apple cinnamon buckwheat cereal for breakfast that I savoured last week, so here it is.
Buckwheat isn't actually a part of the wheat family at all and is in fact a member of the rhubarb family. This gluten free grain is rich in iron, zinc and selenium and is suitable for those with a gluten sensitivity or intolerance.
I would say that it has a rather mild nutty flavour and is a very versatile option to use for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I purchase my buckwheat groats in bulk and always soak them for at least 12-24 hours before using. this makes the grain much more digestible and speeds up their cooking time.
Ingredients: this will make a hearty bowl for one
- Buckwheat groats (amount depending on how many mouths you are feeding)
- Organic apple
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Handful of almonds
- Handful of raisins
- Cinnamon (lots of it!)
- 1 tbsp natural sweetener: maple syrup OR honey OR stevia OR blackstrap molasses
- Option: drizzle of almond butter OR 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Soak buckwheat groats by covering them in water for at least 12 hours. In the morning discard water and rinse really well.
- In a pot, add the buckwheat groats and a generous amount of water. Bring to a rolling boil and cook for approximately 20 minutes or until the grain has reached your desired cooked consistency.
- Strain in a fine mesh strainer.
- Add your almond milk, chopped apple, raisins, almonds, cinnamon and natural sweetener of your choice. Combine all ingredients well.
- Option: drizzle a spoonful of almond butter on top OR coconut oil
This made for a perfectly satisfying and delicious breakfast. I hope you will try including this grain in some of your future cooking and baking.
I came across this lovely quote the other day and feel the need to share......
If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won even before you have started." ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman Philosopher and Statesman
Wishing you lots of self love and confidence in all you do today!