bean + quinoa salad
I was craving a cold salad with beans, and this is what I came up with.
Easy to make and assemble, and you can even double up the batch to keep in the fridge and add to lunch or dinner throughout your busy week.
This is excellent as a stand alone meal or is perfect served up as a side dish, snack or added to a bed of greens to spice up your salad!
- Package of dried beans (I used a bean + lentil mixed variety this time, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand)
- 1 cup dried quinoa (I mixed red + white)
- 1/2 large cucumber or 1-2 small cucumbers
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 ribs of celery
- Handful of parsley
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- Handful of pumpkin + sunflower seeds
- Soak beans overnight. place the dried beans in a bowl or pot and cover with boiling water. Let stand in the water overnight.
- Rinse beans well in the morning before cooking. I use my strainer and run water over it.
- Bring one large pot of water to a rolling boil, and add the beans. Cook for approximately 30-40 minutes.
- In the meantime, you can chop your cucumber, red pepper, celery, garlic, and parsley. transfer ingredients to a serving bowl.
- When the beans are done cooking, place into a strainer and let cool.
- Add dried quinoa to a strainer and rinse well. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil then add the quinoa and cook for approximately 15 minutes.
- When the quinoa is cooked, set aside and let cool.
- Once the beans and quinoa are cooled you can add them to the bowl with your chopped veggies. NOTE: I use about 1/2 to 3/4 of the cooked beans, and place the remainder in a glass container to use later for other recipes.
- Add the lemon juice, EVOO, sea salt and pepper, and rough chopped parsley. Combine well.
- I prefer to place this in a glass container in the fridge to cool down before serving.
- Just before serving I added a handful of pumpkin and sunflower seeds